Monday 27 December 2010

Work and life issues

 Hello all,

I am not sure if you have ever got stuck in something like this. First of all, I am a hk Chinese, grown up and studied in hk. During my past few years, I tried my best to build up a wider mindset by joining summer programmes in australia and usa and luckily I could work in Belgium when I graduated last year.

Coming back to hk, I now start working in a family business with only locals. I don’t mean anything but I have been enjoying working/living in an international environment. When I talk about my experiences randomly, some people may think I am showing off. Sometimes I find it difficult to banter with their mean jokes and topics, and doubting to have built an international mindset once emphasized by my Uni.

I also look for any chance to meet people of similar backgrounds or those who think on other’s feet. It seems I may be labelled already with certain characters due to my appearance when hanging out in some bars (as if I once labelled Belgians  no offence), whereas in another case my friend is viewed by her colleagues as ''foreigner'' (better?!), who studied in uk since she was seven. I am pretty annoyed with some people's blindness on praising other cultures without really knowing them. HK is not bad, isnt it?! haha

Well, I try staying with an open mind and saying to myself that not everyone would have these abroad experiences at this early age. But I have been losing my positive insights in this realistic and materialistic city I grew up, or an local would tend to see the bad things in their own country usually when u have lived for a long time (but u see the great things when u are an alien overseas!)

No comments:

Post a Comment