Saturday 11 December 2010

First step out of accounting life

Just tonight, I had a day out with my accounting friends from university.

On one hand, I really think they are hard-working people. Living in HK is already unbelievably hectic. Plus they decide to take the professional accounting exams which is called HKICPA in Hong Kong. Comparably it is more complicated and harder than any other professional exams from Australia (Australia CPA) and from the UK (ACCA). Being an accountant has been a money-making career in elsewhere other than in HK as there are already too many. Apparently, some people has lost their mind what to do in their lives. So just follow the crowd!

On the other hand, the whole discussion and chat over the night was limited and boring over the sole topic on the exams. Coming back to HK for nearly six months from Belgium, I realise HK people would only be interested in talking about stock market, real estates and money. Alleged itself as an international financial centre, our exposure had been very limited. Thinking back my experiences, I enjoyed very much discussing politics, sports, languages and cultures, food with a bunch of people from the States, Europe and of course Asia :) And now living what alone is low quality, stressed and fast-paced life in HK.

Currently, I am working as a sales and marketing assistant for a dental trading company. Hopefull ouside work, I will be able to make some international friends. For example, I saw a nice bar opened not far from my home which is owned by a chinese australian as heard as well as some other pubs down in the business districts where the expats hang out often.

As soon as I still have little memory, let me remind myself some of the characteristics (stereotypes) I got on peoples. Belgians - Calm, shy, indirect, helpful and passive. Dutch - direct and humorous. Germans - strict. French - patriotic and arrogant. Italian and Spanish - free-minded and very easy-going. Polish - nice and friendly. English - gentle?! In general europeans respect privacy but are cold compared with asians.

Write soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment